About Us - Mission Statement & Aims
St John's is an Anglican parish church and is part of the Diocese of Bath & Wells. It is linked with the parishes of St Benedict's Church in Glastonbury and St Mary's & All Saints Church in the village of Meare as a joint benefice.
At St John's we seek to do God's work through being:
A Christian Spiritual Centre at the Heart of the Town for everyone
And aim to:
- Provide opportunities for Christian worship, prayer, meditation and education;
- Provide a spiritual and prayerful space for everyone;
- Provide a warm welcome for both local people and visitors;
- Meet the needs of both local people and visitors, within the Christian ethos;
- Maintain dialogue with other Christians, and people and groups with other spiritualities.
The Reverend David MacGeoch was instituted as our vicar in September 2008, also to look after the parishes of St Benedict in Glastonbury and St Mary in Meare. He and his family come to us from Puriton, near Bridgwater. He knows Glastonbury well already: he was a social worker in the town for several years before he was ordained as priest.
He is assisted by the Revd Sister Diana Greenfield (training curate and Avalon Pioneer Minister, a ministry shared with Street parish). We also have support from the Revd Robin Ray and from our Readers, Margaret Wynn, Larry Schenck and Andrew Pugh.
St John's musical director and organist is Derek Dorey.