The Church of St John the Baptist - Glastonbury, Somerset
The Church of St John the Baptist, GlastonburyThe Church of St John the Baptist, GlastonburyThe Church of St John the Baptist, GlastonburyThe Church of St John the Baptist, Glastonbury

Visitors - Brief History

St John's Church History - Key Dates

950 AD

 

The earliest church on the site was founded, possibly by St Dunstan

1100 AD

 

The church was enlarged over the next 400 years

C.1200 AD

 

North transept added

C.1400 AD

 

Central tower collapsed!

1428 AD

 

Porch built.

1475 AD

 

Present tower built (134.5ft / 44.4m high)

1484 AD

 

Parvis room added above porch, completing the re-building

1539 AD

 

Dissolution of the Abbey - St John's Church passed to the Crown

1649 AD

 

The Church passed to the Bishop of Bath & Wells

1856 AD

 

The Church was refurbished and the Medieval and Georgian furnishings removed
The work was overseen by Sir George Gilbert Scott

1901 AD

 

Restoration of the Tower

C.1910-30 AD

 

Chapels restored to their original.

1926 AD

 

Organ moved to its present position behind screen designed by Bligh Bond

1932 AD

 

Chancel Screen erected by Read of Exeter

1955 AD

 

The reredos and altar installed with design by Alban Caroe

1972 AD

 

Organ rebuilt, with a detached console positioned in the north aisle

1975 AD

 

Tower west face restored and cleaned

1980 AD

 

The Crown of the Tower was restored and all its pinnacles replaced

1986 AD

 

Organ extended

1987 AD

 

Chancel floor renovated with new limestone

2006 AD

 

Clerestory stonework renovated

Organ Pipes - click for enlargementTower West Face - click for enlargementSt John's Tower - click for enlargement